Musicians and Health- 5 healthy rules of rock
Sol Driven Train performs at dozens of festivals and as the season of outdoor fun, friends and music is upon us, it’s a good time to review a few basic things we can do to maintain health and peak performance form while on tour.
1. Drink water. Eschew energy drinks and guzzle water instead. Energy drinks deplete the body of necessary hydration as they’re chock full of caffeine. Performing out doors in warm weather, maintaining tour schedules, traveling and hotel rooms deplete the body of hydration. Be sure you’re getting enough water. Experts suggest 8 8z bottles a day for most adults.
2. WALK- a pair of good walking shoes takes up very little room in baggage. Walking not only is good for your heart and health but it is a refreshing respite from the hop from hotel to van to venue. Connect with nature and walk in a park. Make walking part of your tour routine. Even if it’s cold or rainy a good walk about the hotel is good for your heart, mind and health.
3. BREATHE- Shallow breathing is a result of stress and exhaustion. Learn to take a few minutes to breathe deeply and completely. Breathe in through your nose on a count of 7- hold your breath for 7 second and then whoosh out your mouth on a count of 8, totally empyting your lungs. DO NOT DO THIS WHILE DRIVING as deep breathing can cause dizziness.
4. EAT OFTEN- EAT LIGHTLY- many musicians eat only one huge meal a day and that is sometimes at 3:00am. Learn to snack on nuts, fruit, veggies, and yogurt. Portable nutritious foods are readily available in most markets and some convenience stores. Learn to pack a cooler as you tour. Replenish it often with fresh items from the market. Not only will this save your health, it saves expenses as well.
5. HAND SANITIZER- Buy it. Stick it in your pocket. USE IT OFTEN