Embracing Daily Life: Ten Tips from Kronk the Dog
Humans take life for granted. They spend a lot of time planning the future and way too much time pondering the past. Me? I take one day at a time and enjoy every second. Here’s my philosophy to live a better, happier, more productive life.
1. Rise and wag. Yep, rise in the morning wagging your tail with a smile on your face. That’s how I meet every single day.
2. Greet the day enthusiastically. Get outside immediately. Walk, run, trot, play. If a ball is involved, all the better
3. Have a good breakfast. Stop half way through and just savor the fact that you are having food today. Be thankful.
4. Be Regular. You know what I am talking about.
5. If something catches your attention-explore. Sniff around, dig a bit. You’ll never know what you’ll find.
6. Be curious about everything from nature to technology. Sniff flowers. Touch trees. Notice the birds when they sing (note to self: try not to eat them….) and when it rains, put your nose in the air and savor the scent. Be curious about the vacuum, the tv (especially during The Dog Whisperer) the computer, the phone. Put your wet nose on it if possible just to show it your are curious.
7. Take frequent naps. When I’m tired I simply rest. Humans would do well to remember that a little sleep makes everything better. I like to nap when it rains, or when it’s too hot or too cold or after a good meal. Naps make the world a better place.
8. If there’s an opportunity to get out of your comfort zone (the yard) just do it! Greet your neighbors enthusiastically and with a smile. (Note to self: try not to eat them….)
9. Show love. If someone speaks kindly to you, reply with a wag and a smile. If you have a chance to lick someone’s face or nuzzle against their neck, do it. Don’t wait. Seize the moment.
10. Go to bed early. Nothing really good happens after nine o’clock anyway. It’s important to have time to unwind, relax and dream. Lay your head on someone’s lap and have them rub your belly. Have a bedtime snack. Snuggle. Kiss. Nuzzle. Stare into the eyes of the one you adore. Remember to end each day with the words, “I love you.” And if you can’t say it (like me) -show it.